Edward Maurer Application 2021
I am Edward Maurer and usually know as emus or echolon.
Hereby I am re-applying for membership in the XSF from 2021!
Currently I am working in the wind power industry** which, unfortunately, is not related to XMPP - at least not yet! I am an engineer for Energy and Environmental Engineering located in Hamburg.
Since 2016, I use XMPP as my main communication technology. Currently, being member of the XSF Communication Team, I have redacted and released (with the help of many great contributors!) eight publications of the XMPP Newsletter in 2020.
Apart from that I support in several XMPP Client projects such as Monal, blabber.im (formerly Pix-Art Messenger) and some other clients and server operators as well as general community support (see my motivation below).
In 2020 I wrote an article on people's and my vision for XMPP we collected during the Berlin Virtual Sprint in March 2020. On the 5th of January 2021, I plan a round-up on the work of the XMPP Newsletter in 2020 - everyone is invited, but you can also join to get to know myself if you are interested. See the Invitation email .
For 2021 I plan to continue and improve on the XMPP Newsletter - please join if you have something to tell the XMPP world! Furthermore, I would also like to help improving the communication in the XSF. A first step would be an organizational chart of the, in my opinion, fragmented XSF communication ways - at least for myself! I think this will significantly help the overview for everyone. The next step would be some improvements to the website. You have a better plan? Let me know!
Bridging XMPP with <3
In general, I see myself as a bridge - I try to connect and thrive potential between the islands.
Furthermore, I recommend to read my article on the XMPP Vision above, if you are further interested in the way I personally act and think.
Still most people condense their digital life into closed and proprietary software and databases. In terms of communication, XMPP is, with its decentralized, open, modular and last but not least standardized setup, the right choice and technology for the upcoming challenges and threats to our still ongoing digital transformation and turnaround. It might be not the easiest choice of technology, however it is the right one in my opinion. I think many brilliant people are in this network and we should build on this community!
- Previously involvement German and Spanish translation of the monthly XMPP Newsletter.
- Support in the On-boarding of XMPP newcomers for the client Kaidan. Hereby I was trying and testing to define general soft and hard criteria for servers which are sufficient for very new people within XMPP. This already lead to significant service improvement of some selected servers. (Before you get angry with this for some reason - nothing there was complete or finished (unfortunately).)
- Feedback and improvement suggestions to different clients as well as supporting developers with communication and organizational support.
- In 2018 and 2019 I attended to XMPP Meetups in Hamburg and a Sprint in Berlin.
- Application for XSF Member in 2020
Email: emus (ett) mailbox (tod) org
XMPP: emus (ett) jabbers (tod) one
** I prefer to keep this private from public, however, the XSF secretary is informed and has been fine with this. I am offering to everyone, if that is absolutely important to vote, to tell the employer privately. Feel free to contact me.