XMPP Newsletter November 2019
Status: newsletter sent, blog post published https://xmpp.org/2019/11/newsletter-08-november/
Warning: this wiki page does not represent the final edits
- FR: https://linuxfr.org/news/lettre-d-information-xmpp-8-novembre-2019-sprints-iot-et-le-debut-de-twitter
- DE: https://www.jabber.de/xmpp-newsletter-08-november-2019-sprints-iot-und-die-anfaenge-von-twitter/
- ES: https://www.jabber.de/es-xmpp-newsletter-08-nov-2019-sprints-iot-y-los-primeros-twitter/
- 1 Newsletter subject/title
- 2 Intro
- 3 Articles
- 4 Videos
- 5 Tutorials
- 6 Events
- 7 Software releases
- 8 Other
- 9 Services
- 10 GSoC
- 11 Extensions and specifications
- 12 Thanks and CTA, Call To Action (remove this mention before publishing)
- 13 License
[ Friendly, human introduction for the month (remove this mention before publishing) ]
XMPP newsletter November: Sprints, IoT, and early Twitter
Welcome to the XMPP newsletter covering the month of October.
This is a community effort, and the process is fully documented: please help us spread the word.
Neetesh Mehrotra wrote about XMPP as a Communication Protocol for the IoT, comparing it to MQTT and HTTP.
Martin aka debacle wrote an short piece bout Dino and other updated software in Debian.
Ben Kwiecien compared ejabberd and Prosody in plain text.
Jon Erlichman published a photo of an early sktech of Twitter in 2005 by Jack Dorsey... which features Jabber at the core.
Erlang Solutions republished their tutorial on how to Build a complete iOS messaging app using XMPPframework, with its part 2.
pep tells us the story of the "Sprint in the cold north", with sauna and crêpes, working on new groupchat bookmarks specification, file transfer interoperability issues, and a future landing page for new XMPP users.
This month the Ignite Realtime community has released:
- Openfire 4.4.3
- inVerse Openfire plugin 188.8.131.52
- User Status Openfire plugin 1.2.2
- HTTP File Upload plugin 1.1.1
QuickBlox has written a blog post about the use XMPP in 2019.
Marek Foss has announced ejabberd 19.09.1.
Clients and applications
Apps for users have been updated:
Extensions and specifications
Title: XMPP Compliance Suites 2020 Abstract: This document defines XMPP application categories for different use cases (Core, Web, IM, and Mobile), and specifies the required XEPs that client and server software needs to implement for compliance with the use cases.
This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on 2019-11-06.
- Version 0.5.0 of XEP-0405 (Mediated Information eXchange (MIX): Participant Server Requirements) has been released.
- Version 0.3.0 of XEP-0402 (Bookmarks 2 (This Time it's Serious)) has been released.
Thanks and CTA, Call To Action (remove this mention before publishing)
This XMPP Newsletter is a community collaborative effort.
Thanks to Nyco, MDosch, Daniel and Guus for aggregating the news.
Thanks to Nyco for the copywriting.
Thanks to xxx for the reviewing.
Thanks to xxx for the translations.
Please follow and relay the XMPP news on our Twitter account @xmpp.
This newsletter is published under CC by-sa license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/