Wojciech Kapcia Application 2021
Name: Wojciech Kapcia
My journey with XMPP started in mid 2000s while looking for alternatives to limited, proprietary solutions available at that time. I stumbled against Jabber/XMPP and after some digging quickly figured out that it was what I was looking for - open, extensible and interoperable. At the beginning I mostly concentrated on user side, promotion of protocol wherever I could as well as providing helping hand to whomever needed such. In 2010 I started working for Tigase. We are now a decade later and it seems that proprietary walled garden once again made communication difficult and it was never more important to support open communication!
Last year in Tigase/XMPP:
- promoting Tigase and XMPP wherever possible
- extensive work on compatibility of Tigase XMPP Server (s2s and clients ecosystem)
- administration of tigase.im/sure.im servers
XMPP Related Activities
Most of my current activities revolve mostly around server side Tigase:
- improving Tigase's compatibility with XMPP specs and general interoperability,
- building, packaging, releasing;
- maintaining our public servers tigase.im and sure.im
- promotion and help with XMPP.
Plans for a future
I want to work to improve Tigase XMPP Server compatibility with the most recent extensions and work on aligning Tigase projects with Modern XMPP. It's also essential to make deploying XMPP-based solution as easy as possible and this will be main goal for this year.
XMPP - Why I like it
I like XMPP because of it's openness and flexibility which allows freely choose from abundance of software (both server as well as client) and services without sacrificing interoperability. It also allows contributing back.
I do hope and do my best to convince people to switch from other, closed solutions to XMPP.