Sam Whited Application 2021
- Name: Sam Whited
- Mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- JID: email@example.com
- Company: Willow Bark Co-op / REI
After another brief hiatus, I would like to apply again for XSF membership. In the past I have served as an author on many XEPs and acted as an editor and member of the council.
My goals in re-joining the XSF are to help create some benefit to joining other than being allowed to volunteer on committees (I have already started working on this a little as a non-member in the form of advocating for the XSF to become a fiscal host), and to change the rules so that others can volunteer on committees without becoming members (so that membership isn't a prerequisite to volunteering, rather volunteering is a path towards membership and taking more active roles within the organization). I am also still attempting to find a way to work on XMPP related projects during my day job again, and am hoping that being a member might help.
I've contributed a number of features to Conversations (though I mostly don't work on Android anymore) and many more one-off patches to other XMPP clients, servers, and libraries. In particular, I wrote and maintain the Mellium set of XMPP tools, clients, and libraries in Go.
Here are some of the XEPs I've written or contributed to in the past.
- XEP-0286: Mobile Considerations on LTE Networks
- XEP-0364: Current Off-the-Record Messaging Usage
- XEP-0366: Entity Versioning
- XEP-0367: Message Attaching
- XEP-0375: XMPP Compliance Suites 2016
- XEP-0377: Spam Reporting
- XEP-0378: OTR Discovery
- XEP-0383: Burner JIDs
- XEP-0387: XMPP Compliance Suites 2017
- XEP-0389: Extensible In-Band Registration
- XEP-0393: Message Styling