Matthew Wild Application 2022
My name is Matthew Wild, and I am located in the United Kingdom. I work with XMPP for fun and for food, and I have founded multiple open-source XMPP projects such as Prosody, Snikket and the Modern XMPP documentation project.
I am currently serving on the XSF Board, and as the Executive Director.
- I have continued to work on Snikket, an ambitious project to offer the best of XMPP as a single well-integrated and user-friendly solution. The project is open-source and self-hostable, and I hope that it will become a user-friendly "gateway" into the XMPP ecosystem for many.
- During 2021 I received EU funding from NGI DAPSI to work on XMPP account portability. This resulted in various XEP updates, and implementations in Prosody, Snikket and even a client-side web migrator that allows you to migrate between servers using BOSH/Websocket connections from your browser.
- Hopefully by the time you read this, we've also released Prosody 0.12 - bringing Prosody's "out of the box" setup more up to date with the 2022 compliance suites and modern XMPP best practices.
- Developed a small web utility for developers to test their [XEP-0392: Consistent Color Generation] implementations
- I assist with XMPP newsletter editing and review whenever I can.
During 2022 one of my big technical priorities will be improving authentication in XMPP, with the goal of enabling device management (managing what devices/apps have access to your account) and managed third-party account access (think OAuth for XMPP, or more concretely: being able to log into your account via a Movim instance without sharing your password). This will be supported via NGI Assure funding from NLnet.
- Snikket, an easy-to-use XMPP distribution for non-XMPP people
- ModernXMPP, a project to fill the gaps between XEPs and help developers build modern user-friendly clients using XMPP.
- Scansion, an automated XMPP client (e.g. for integration testing)
- Prosody, an XMPP server for human beings
- I actively participate in the development of the XMPP protocol and its extensions.
- I served many years on the XSF technical council, and am currently in my sixth term as a member of the foundation's board.
- MattJ in email@example.com
- Jabber/email: me (at) matthewwild.co.uk