JS Admin README
There are two main tasks related to JabberStudio administration:
Creating new JS users on zeus
Web users are different from system users. Developers need to be system users with a shell account on zeus in order to check in code and modify their project websites. Here's how to create system users:
- Log into zeus (you're soaking in it)
- Type 'jsadduser username email' (make the system name the same as the person's JS web username if possible, it just makes life easier)
- When prompted, type the person's Full Name
- Skip the Room Number, Work Phone, and Home Phone
- For Other, type the person's email address
When you're done, the jsadduser script will send an email to the new shell user.
Creating JS Projects
This is a two-part process: you need to access the web interface and also run the jsaddproject script on zeus. You MUST run the jsaddproject script before you hit the "Add" button on the "Add A Project" page!
Note: I tend to "interview" the project requester via Jabber because sometimes people are confused about whether they even really need a JabberStudio project, they're not ready to check in code and don't know what license to use, etc. Also, several years ago, temas and I decided that JS is for hosted projects only (projects that check in code), not the old-style projects that point to code elsewhere. Remember, JS is like SourceForge, not Freshmeat.
OK, here goes:
- Log into http://www.jabberstudio.org/
- Click the "Site Administration" link at the top right
- Click "Add A Project" from the "Site Admin" menu
- Fill out the form as follows:
- Project Name: this is the friendly name, can contain spaces etc.
- System Name: this is the system name, no spaces or caps etc.
- Owner: this is the project owner's web username, not system username
- Homepage: http://projectname.jabberstudio.org/ or URL of project owner's choice
- Content Management URL: leave it blank (I don't know what this is for!)
- Description: Project description as provided by project owner, edit as necessary (I always do!)
- Type: Normal
- License: FOSS license for project code (if you need to add a new one, ping me)
- Platforms: General unless a client, then choose appropriate computing platform (if you need to add a new one, ping me)
- Programming Language: Main code language for project code
- Category: Choose one
- Allow Anonymous Comments: uncheck (I don't know what this is for!)
- Allow Anonymous Submissions: uncheck (I don't know what this is for!)
Now, BEFORE you hit the "Add" button, do the following!
- Double-check the form
- Run the jsaddproject script:
jsaddproject project-name owner-shell-account email-address group-name
- project-name = short system name from web form
- owner-shell-account = project owner's shell account name from jsadduser
- email-address = project owner's email address
- group-name = short group name to be added to /etc/group (usually this is just the same as the project-name)
If the jsaddproject script completes with no errors, the project owner will receive a helpful and informative email and it will be safe for you to hit the "Add" button on the "Add A Project" page.
Mailing list setup etc. to follow.