Heiner Wolf Application 2013
I am Heiner Wolf. I am applying for XSF membership. I have been JSF/XSF member before.
- JID: firstname.lastname@example.org (was email@example.com because Google Abandons Open Standards for Instant Messaging
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have been writing code for many years. I write mostly C++/PHP/C# and I will continue to do so. I was engaged in virtual presence projects of the European Union using XMPP during my PhD. I was founder and CTO of weblin, a virtual presence system based on XMPP with 3 Mio. registrations. I am now working on a successor to weblin in the Open Virtual World project in my spare time, which also implementents 3D avatars on Web pages using the XMPP protocol with open source servers and custom clients. Currently I am CTO of Deutsche Messe Interactive. I use XMPP clients for communication during work and I am very activly using XMPP in spare time projects.
I speak and write about XMPP, e.g.:
- A Website Chat made easy with XMPP and BOSH
- virtual presence with Jabber
- IBM recommends XMPP for Realtime Web Apps
- I am lead developer of weblin, a virtual presence client based on XMPP.
- I am currently developing a new virtual presence client with XMPP as transport.
- I am developing the server code (web site + game server) for the avatar system.
- I am planning and implementing an object layer system for the Web based on XMPP as a server component
- I made a showcase how simple it is to "make a Web page chat in 1 hour" with XMPP, strophe, ejabberd (Website chat made easy).
- I implemented a Twitter to Jabber gateway: TwiX (Twitter-to-XMPP)
- I made a XMPP chat bot, a XMPP chat-to-message gateway, which lets me chat in chat rooms by sending receiveing instant messages to the proxy (ChaX)
Real World Operation
- I am running the weblin system on 3 hosted servers with a XMPP server (ejabber). There are several thousand registered users and few hundred users with concurrently connected clients.
Work on the XMPP Protocol
- I was authoring XEP-0151 and a set-redirect proposal. I contributed to avatar discussions.
- Virtual presence extensions to the XMPP protocol are documented at www.virtual-presence.org
- I am active in the standardization of virtual worlds where I promote the use of XMPP not only as a chat protocol, but also as a virtual space protocol IETF draft for the Feb 2009 meeting.
- I think extending HTTP for 2-way messaging is weird, when there is already a mature and widely adopted messaging protocol like XMPP.
- Virtual-Presence.org an aggregator of virtual presence systems and news
- Lupus Labs my spare time company.
- OpenVirtualWorld.com the Open Virtual World project blog
- lmslog.virtual-presence.org the status log of Website-URL -> chat room to JID mapping changes
- lms.virtual-presence.org/api/ a web front end for the "URL to chat room to JID" mapping library
- TwiX a Twitter to XMPP gateway
- blog.wolfspelz.de my blog (german)
Why I'm applying
I work on virtual presence. Jabber/XMPP is the best infrastructure for it. I am using XMPP heavily. I wish the world would agree on a single IM standard. I wish that would be XMPP.