Edward Maurer Application 2024
I am Edward Maurer and usually know as emus or echolon.
Hereby I am re-applying for membership in the XSF from 2024!
Currently I am working in the Energy power industry and software automation as a team lead and Scrum master** which, unfortunately is not related to XMPP - at least not yet! :D In general, I am an engineer for Energy and Environmental Engineering located in Hamburg (Germany).
Since 2016, I use XMPP as my main communication technology. Currently, being member of the XSF Communication Team, I have redacted and released (with the help of many great contributors!) almost 50 publications of the XMPP Newsletter since 2020.
- I wrote the blog post Instant messaging: It's not about the app, 21st January 2021.
- The XMPP Newsletter has established quite good in the community, the Fosstodon account has double their followers. I furthermore organized several new continuous translations for the XMPP Newsletter.
- Apart from this, I am really really happy that Daniel Brötzmann aka wurstsalat has joined the CommTeam on my suggestion and since then has done a tremendous amount and good work to the newsletter but even more important to our XSF Website - at this spot I want to say thanks to his great effort!
- Last but not least, melvin and I progressed significantly on the XMPP Providers project which is being hosted at XSF since this year.
- Finally, I have not yet finished but started with the organizational chart for the XSF.
- Of course, I plan to continue the work on the XMPP Newsletter but also improve on the XMPP Office Hours and also offer invite professionals to take their chance and have their say. When YOU are reading this feel welcome to sign up, too!
- The Google Summer of Code 2022 has been conducted. I was the XSF GSoC organization admin.
- Continuing my support on the XMPP Providers Project , too!
- I have been the first time XSF Board member
- I participated the XSF Summit 25 incl. a presentation on XMPP Providers project (see below) and FOSDEM 2023 and also
- I have redacted the publication of another 10 Newsletter publications XMPP Newsletter. However I failed to try to find time to improve on the XMPP Office Hours and also offer invite professionals to take their chance and have their say. When YOU are reading this feel welcome to reach out!
- I successfully organized the Elbe-Sprint in Hamburg
- I was the XSF GSoC organization admin for this year's program.
- I organized a community workshop for XMPP.
- Continued my support on the Community project XMPP Providers Project , too!
- Plans for 2024:
- I am Board Member for 2024!
- As Board member I will try to renew and extend our sponsoring attempts. This already showed first results.
- Continue the work on the XMPP Newsletter but also again try to find time to improve on the XMPP Office Hours and also offer invite professionals to take their chance and have their say. When YOU are reading this feel welcome to reach out!
- If appreciated I will try to organized the Elbe-Sprint again :)
- I will try to formulate points out of the community workshop for XMPP into general points or even goals and targets.
- I would like to apply again for the XSF GSoC organization admin at the XSF and run another year the already announced program.
- I will also try to apply for programs like Outreachy.
- Continuing my support on the Community project XMPP Providers Project , too! Consider to list your service!
Moreover, I try to help improving the communication and organization in the XSF and XMPP in general. I also support some clients such as Monal and some server operators as well as general community support (see my motivation).
Bridging XMPP with <3
In general, I see myself as a bridge - I try to connect and let potential thrive between the islands.
Furthermore, I recommend to read my article on the XMPP Vision and the blog article I wrote, if you are further interested in the way I personally act and think. Last but not least I have a strong opinion on having more centralized and streamlined communication paths, overviews and doing extra efforts because I believe it is a requirement in a decentralized system to support newcomers.
Still most people condense their digital life into closed and proprietary software and databases. In terms of communication, XMPP is, with its decentralized, open, modular and last but not least standardized setup, the right choice and technology for the upcoming challenges and threats to our still ongoing digital transformation and turnaround. It might be not the easiest choice of technology, however it is the right one in my opinion. I think many brilliant people are in this network and we should build on this community!
- 2021: Instant Messaging: It's not about the app
- 2020: Guest article: XMPP Vision
- Also read the blog posts of XMPP Providers
- Previously involvement German and Spanish translation of the monthly XMPP Newsletter.
- Support in the On-boarding of XMPP newcomers for the client Kaidan. Currently, we expand it to a more general setup. Hereby we are trying and testing to define general soft and hard criteria for servers which are sufficient for very new people within XMPP. This already lead to significant service improvement of some selected servers. (Before you get angry with this for some reason - we are still trying and of course trying to get this as generic as possible!)
- Feedback and improvement suggestions to different clients and services as well as supporting developers with communication and organizational support.
- In 2018 and 2019 I attended to XMPP Meetups in Hamburg, a Sprint in Berlin and the Elbe-Sprint in Hamburg.
- See entries and applications at my user page
Email: emus (ett) mailbox (tod) org
XMPP: emus (ett) jabbers (tod) one
** I prefer to keep this private from public, however, the XSF secretary is informed and has been fine with this. I am offering to everyone, if that is absolutely important to vote, to tell the employer privately. Feel free to contact me.