Heiner Wolf Application 2011
I am Heiner Wolf. I am applying for XSF membership. I have been JSF/XSF member before.
- JID: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: email@example.com
I have been writing code for many years. I write mostly C++/PHP/C# and I will continue to do so. I was engaged in virtual presence projects of the European Union during my PhD. I was CTO of weblin, a virtual presence system based on XMPP. I am now working on a successor to weblin in the Open Virtual World project in my spare time, which also implementents 3D avatars on Web pages using the XMPP protocol with open source servers and custom clients. I speak and write about the topic "virtual presence with Jabber" (PDF slides).
- I am lead developer of weblin, a virtual presence client based on XMPP.
- I am currently developing a new virtual presence client with XMPP transport.
- I am developing the server code (web site + game server) for the avatar system.
- I am planning and implementing an object layer system for the Web based on XMPP as a server component
- I made a showcase how simple it is to "make a Web page chat in 1 hour" with XMPP, strophe, ejabberd (Website chat made easy).
- I implemented a Twitter to Jabber gateway: TwiX (Twitter-to-XMPP)
- I made a XMPP chat bot, a XMPP chat-to-message gateway, which lets me chat in chat rooms by sending receiveing instant messages to the proxy (ChaX, part of TwiX project)
- I was authoring XEP-0151 and a set-redirect proposal. I contributed to avatar discussions.
- Virtual presence extensions to the XMPP protocol are documented at www.virtual-presence.org
- I am active in the standardization of virtual worlds where I promote the use of XMPP not only as a chat protocol, but also as a virtual space protocol IETF draft for the Feb 2009 meeting.
- I think extending HTTP for 2-way messaging is weird, when there is already a mature and widely adopted messaging protocol like XMPP.
- Virtual-Presence.org an aggregator of virtual presence systems and news
- Lupus Labs my company. I am self employed.
- OpenVirtualWorld.com the Open Virtual World project blog
- lmslog.virtual-presence.org the status log of Website-URL -> Chatroom-JID mapping changes
- lms.virtual-presence.org/api/ a web front end for the URL mapping library
- TwiX a Twitter to XMPP gateway
- blog.wolfspelz.de my blog (german)
Why I'm applying
I work on virtual presence. Jabber/XMPP is the best infrastructure for it. I am sure that we will see millions of people on the web with their avatars and this might give a giant push to XMPP (not that it would need it :-). As a project and a company we rely heavily on Jabber, XMPP client libraries, servers, documentation, and know-how. We are using off the shelf open source XMPP servers. In other words: XMPP is very important to my professional work.