Jack Moffitt Application 2010
My name is Jack Moffitt, and I'm re-applying for XSF membership (I was previously a member in 2005-6 and in 2008-9).
I've been a Free Software hacker for a number of years. My first project was the Icecast streaming media server. This led me to work on patent-free media formats, and I have since worked for a number of years on the Xiph.org family of projects. I served numerous times as the Executive Director of the Xiph.org Foundation, have been on the board for its entire lifetime, and have performed various functions such as software development, product management, marketing and business development.
Currently I am building a real time search engine built on XMPP pubsub called Collecta. Previous to that, I founded Chesspark, which was an XMPP-based real-time, multiplayer chess community.
I was previously a member of the XSF since 2005 (with a brief hiatus). I have served on the council and board several times, and currently am Chariman of the Board and Treasurer of the XSF.
Contributions and Work Relating to Jabber
- Speeqe - a simple Web based group chat client based on XMPP MUC
- Palaver - a Twisted based MUC component
- Punjab - a Twisted based, stand-alone XMPP BOSH connection manager
- Poetry - XMPP commandline tools
- write a lot about XMPP in my blog
- patches, bugs, and feedback for ejabberd, jabberd 2.x, Twisted Words, Wokkel, Loudmouth, xmpppy
- served on JSF Council and JSF Board in 2005 and 2008, 2009
- I have also given several XMPP focused talks at various conferences
The following are things I am planning to work on:
- More XMPP advocacy
- XMPP pubsub related tools
- Unit testing tools for components and servers
- Further enhancing the XMPP experience on the Web
I plan to join the Communications and Technical Review teams.
I'm involved in an advisory/board role with the Xiph.org Foundation.
Why I'm Re-Applying
I would like to continue participating in XMPP design, development, and promotion.