FOSDEM 2016 (the Free and Open Source Software Developers' Europe Meeting) will take place on Saturday, January 30 and Sunday, January 31, 2016 in Brussels, Belgium.
The XSF has requested a stand (a.k.a. the Realtime Lounge) and a developer room and is inviting everyone to suggest demonstrations and talks for these respectively, in anticipation of getting confirmation on acquiring either of them.
FOSDEM 2016 will be preceded by XMPP Summit 19. See there for details.
The XSF needs your help to make FOSDEM a success!
This year, we expect to again have an enormous stand called the Realtime Lounge. That needs filling with people! We're aiming to showcase exciting and inventive XMPP-based projects, and we need your help both to provide things to demo, and hang out answering questions from the crowd.
Also, please volunteer to spend some time at the lounge so that our hardworking volunteers can do things like eat lunch or catch some talks! The lounge hours are 10:00-19:00 on Saturday and 10:00-17:00 on Sunday.
- We at Matrix.org would love to join the Realtime lounge! (Oddvar Lovaas)
- We at ring.cx would love to join the Realtime lounge too! (Adrien Béraud and Guillaume Roguez)
- Your name here
We are planning to host demonstrations at the lounge. If you would like to present a demo, please list it below.
- ikDisplay: Realtime waterfall display of social network updates (Ralph Meijer)
- Lounge lighting with Philips Hue bulbs and XMPP control (Ralph Meijer)
- Iot devices: a few XMPP connected devices such as raspberries and alike (Joachim Lindborg)
- Bridging XMPP to the Matrix ecosystem (Oddvar Lovaas)
- How to reform mental healthcare with XMPP, poster presentation, needs appr. 1m of wall (Winfried Tilanus)
Gear and supplies
To set up the stand, the area around it and cater for demos, we need a number of things to make it a success. Please add your name behind supplies that we haven't sourced yet. FOSDEM will provide us with high-speed wireless internet access. If you need wired internet for your demos, please let Ralph Meijer know.
Note: because we can't put up things on the walls (by decree of the venue), we will rely on projectors to show information, sponsors, etc. on the walls.
- Tables, 2 for Jabber/XMPP, 2 for ? (FOSDEM)
- Transport van (Ralph Meijer / Edwin Mons)
- Furniture and swag stored at Cisco (Ralph Meijer / Edwin Mons)
- Stepladder (Ralph Meijer)
- Light fixings and lights (Ralph Meijer)
- Projector #1 ()
- Projector #2 ()
- Projector #3 ()
- Signage ()
- Markers (Edwin / )
- Power extension cords / strips (Edwin / )
- Toolbox (Ralph Meijer / Edwin Mons)
Realtime Developers Room
We have requested a developers room with the broader topic of realtime communications, which includes XMPP, telephony, WebRTC en other realtime technologies.
The Schedule of the Realtime Devroom. Any related talks in other tracks are noted below:
|Given name||Family name||Nickname||Title||Comments|
While FOSDEM or our stand is free-of-cost itself, we do have some costs to organise it. This includes furniture, decoration and transport. Also, it is a tradition for the XSF to hold a dinner one evening during FOSDEM and the Summit. Sponsorship from individuals or organisations to help reduce the costs to attendees is always appreciated. As sponsors step forward they'll be listed at the Summit 19 page.
Who will be there
Please add your name if you plan to be there (ordered by family name):
- Timothée Jaussoin (edhelas) (only on Saturday)
- Ralph Meijer (ralphm)
- Edwin Mons (intosi)
- Winfried Tilanus