Jonathan Schleifer Application 2018
My name is Jonathan Schleifer and I'm reapplying for XSF membership.
I am a 29 years old living in Zürich, Switzerland. I am administrating my own Jabber server since October 2005, am a (now inactive) developer of Gajim, am currently working on an Objective-C XMPP Client Library (which I presented together with Florian Zeitz at FOSDEM 2012 in the XMPP dev room) after I finished writing my own XML parser and XML builder and did a lot of work converting people to Jabber.
- WebKeks.org / heap.zone, my Jabber server, running since October 2005.
- Gajim, a client where I am a (now inactive) developer.
- ObjXMPP, an XMPP client library for the portable ObjFW Objective C Framework I wrote (https://webkeks.org/git/?p=objxmpp.git)
- I constantly try (and succeed!) to convert people to Jabber. This is like a project to me.
- One of my personal aims is to make Jabber as easy to use as possible for the Average Joe user, so it will someday completely replace WhatsApp and the like. (As an example, I could mention the GUI redesign I did for Gajim).
- Writing small patches whenever I come across something of which I think "That could be done better!".
- WebKeks ICQ-t, more or less a fork of pyICQ-t to make it usable (this emerged from the version I use on my server).
- I wrote the XMPP logic of the first Buddycloud iPhone client, but had to cease work on this due to Apple locking out PPC users since 3.0 (back then, I only had a PPC Mac and someone else took over). However, nothing of this is left in the current version of the Buddycloud iPhone client.
Plans for the future
Working towards Jabber world domination :).
Seriously, I will keep working on the projects above and try to spread Jabber even more.
Jabber - Why I like it
I like the openness of Jabber and I think the idea to use XML for IM is cool, as it provides great ways of expandability.
Another reason is that I'm very annoyed of all the silos currently being created for instant massaging, e.g. WhatsApp, Telegram, etc.
Why I'm reapplying
Jabber is fun to me and I really want to help it and enhance it where I can. Even though I was quite inactive recently, I still hope to become more active again.