Jonathan Schleifer Application 2011
My name is Jonathan Schleifer and I'm reapplying for XSF membership.
I am a 22 years old Bachelor of Computer Science student at the RWTH Aachen University, living in Würselen (near Aachen), Germany. I am administrating my own Jabber server since October 2005, am a developer of Gajim, am currently working on an Objective C XMPP Client Library after I finished writing my own XML parser and XML builder and did a lot of work converting people to Jabber.
- WebKeks.org, my Jabber server, running since October 2005.
- Gajim, a client where I am a developer.
- ObjXMPP, an XMPP client library for the portable ObjFW Objective C Framework I wrote (https://webkeks.org/hg/objxmpp)
- I constantly try (and succeed!) to convert people to Jabber. This is like a project to me.
- One of my personal aims is to make Jabber as easy to use as possible for the Average Joe user, so it will someday completely replace ICQ and MSN. (As an example, I could mention the GUI redesign I did for Gajim).
- Writing small patches whenever I come across something of which I think "That could be done better!".
- WebKeks ICQ-t, more or less a fork of pyICQ-t to make it usable (this emerged from the version I use on my server).
- I wrote the XMPP logic of the first Buddycloud iPhone client, but had to cease work on this due to Apple locking out PPC users since 3.0 (back then, I only had a PPC Mac and someone else took over). However, nothing of this is left in the current version of the Buddycloud iPhone client.
Plans for the future
Working towards Jabber world domination :).
Seriously, I will keep working on the projects above and try to spread Jabber even more.
Jabber - Why I like it
I like the openness of Jabber and I think the idea to use XML for IM is cool, as it provides great ways of expandability.
Another reason is that I'm very pissed about ICQ and MSN who constantly change the protocol, log all messages and even claim copyright to your messages. I just like the fact that I have full control over my personal data with Jabber and everything is open.
Why I'm reapplying
Jabber is fun to me and I really want to help it and enhance it where I can. Even though I was quite inactive in the last year, I'm reapplying as I plan to get more active again.