Heiner Wolf Application 2020
I am Heiner Wolf. I am applying for XSF membership. I have been JSF/XSF member before.
- JID: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have been writing code for many years. I write mostly Typescript/C#/C++/PHP and I will continue to do so. I was engaged in virtual presence projects of the European Union during my PhD. I was CTO of weblin, a virtual presence system based on XMPP. I am now working on a successor to weblin: weblin.io, which implements 3D avatars on Web pages using the XMPP protocol.
- I am developing weblin.io, a browser extension for avatars on web pages based on XMPP.
- I am developing the web services for the avatar system.
- I made a showcase how simple it is to "make a Web page chat in 1 hour" with XMPP, strophe, ejabberd (Website chat made easy).
- I used to have a Twitter to Jabber gateway: TwiX (Twitter-to-XMPP) now unfortunately gone.
- I have been authoring XEP-0151. Though XEP-0151 has been put to sleep I am heavily developing and advancing this protocol extension, waiting for real world experience and adoption before the next XEP version.
- In the meantime the virtual presence extensions to the XMPP protocol are documented at www.virtual-presence.org
- weblin.io where you will get the browser extension
- Virtual-Presence.org an aggregator of virtual presence systems and news
- Lupus Labs my company providing professional services around avatars ion web pages.
- lms.virtual-presence.org/api/ a web front end for the URL mapping library
- blog.wolfspelz.de my blog (partially German)
Why I'm applying
I have been working on XMPP based chat systems for many years, because I think XMPP is the best infrastructure for the task. I am sure that we will see millions of people on the web with their avatars. As a project and a company we rely heavily on XMPP client libraries, servers, documentation, and know-how. We are using off the shelf open source XMPP servers. In other words: XMPP is very important to my hobby and to my professional work.
Avatars on web pages. That's my thing.
We started weblin.io to enable people to meet others without going outside during the lockdown. But of course, once you see the people who happen to be on the same page at the same time, you can do much more like in the real world. Avatars can walk, they can approach each other, chat (of course), embedded video conference, ask the salesperson, watch streaming together, ad-hoc meetings, demonstration/rallies. And then there is the "things" layer: virtual items on the page and in your inventory, exchange of virtual goods, business cards, gaming, adventure...
That's want I do.