Edward Maurer for Board 2022
Edward Maurer, I am working non-XMPP related in the Energy / offshore wind industry in software automation. Hamburg, Germany.
My XSF profile and its listed applications will tell you the most important activities and affiliation in my past and future. But my most interesting experience within XSF is my role as CommTeam member since about 2020.
Motivation since then: Bridging XMPP with <3 - I try to connect and let potential thrive between the islands.
Why I Run
I think the XSF could require some improvements in terms of organization, communication and structural setup. However, I believe the current situation is in a dysfunctional state (without blaming anyone) and not serving the purpose as its best. Indicators are few resources, few activity by work-groups and even people resigned frustrated. Still, I believe at the same time a lot of good work is being done by our brilliant people. So, we should take actions on potential improvement to not stop their work. In general, I think we have an alarming situation within this organization. It should be taken very serious.
What I advocate for, but not necessarily enforce
- Strengthen the XSF at its core work (XEPs) wherever we can (suggestions welcome)
- Strengthen the teams, especially focused with our core work
- Strengthen the XSF in being a central instance within the XMPP Community
- Actually use our budget to support the above topics
- Try fundraising activities
- Make XSF and XMPP more attractive and also gain interest from newcomers
- More than quarterly meetings of Board :-)
- Audio / video calls to have a better and personal exchange and tone within the XSF and community
- More communication from Board to members but also in general :-)
- Maybe get my organizational chart finally done and deployed to the website!
What I will try within the next year
- Do my very best at being Board member the first time!
- Run a survey within the XSF but possibly also within the community to better understand needs and possible improvements
- Improve the team setups for especially editorial and infrastructure work, if required with our budget
- Continue my work in the Communication Team (Hell yeah, we still need your support!)
- Continue to run another round of Google Summer of Code
What not to expect from me
- Deep technical XMPP discussions or knowledge - the only XEP I read is 0001!
- Fundamental views on anything. I see myself quite liberal and usually try to evaluate, build alliances and align with as much parties as possible to pull in the same direction all together. Exceptions might appear still. And yes I know that can take more time sometimes.
Reach out to me via my XSF member profile and its applications if you have any questions or points already!