Davide Conzon Application 2021
I am applying for membership in XSF. My name is Davide Conzon xmpp:email@example.com. I live in Italy and I work for the no-profit private Foundation Leading Innovation & Knowledge for Society (LINKS).
Work e-email address: davide.conzon AT linksfounation DOT com
Personal e-mail address and JID: davide.conzon AT gmail DOT com
I attended the Polytechnic of Turin from 2002 to 2007, where in 2005 I received the Bachelor of Science in computer engineering and in 2007 the Master of Science in computer engineering. I was working as researcher in ISMB (now LINKS) since 2007, initially in the Service and Application lab, then since 2011 in the Pervasive Technologies Area (PerT), as main responsible of an XMPP based middleware for the Internet of Things, bringing the concept of virtual network to real objects. My research interests are focused in applications for Internet of Things. In this field, I had worked in various research projects initiatives, mainly funded by EU Commission and by Italian regional government. During years, I gained valuable development expertise with different programming languages, including C, C++, QT, Java (with OSGi) and a deep knowledge of the XMPP protocol and its use as communication channel for distributed applications. Furthermore, I have explored the interaction and interconnection of wireless technologies (Bluetooth, ZigBee and RFID) and WSAN (Wireless Sensors and Actuation Network). You can find some more info on my official curriculum.
In this last year, I have worked in evolving the system developed within the (CPSwarm project) for a distributed optimization and simulation environment for evolutionary optimization of swarms of cyber-pyhsical systems, based on the use of the XMPP protocol. The project has ended in December 2019 and the tools developed have been realized on github (please read here the news published on XMPP newsletter about this, for more details).
Furthermore, I'm working with XMPP since 2009, particularly in the use of XMPP as communication protocol for Internet of Things (IoT) applications. I’m the first reference person (design and development leader) of the LINKS internal development of an IoT middleware based on XMPP, which has been used as reference communication platform in several national and European projects. The software is not yet released as open-source, but a number of research papers about it are today available.
Here it is the list of XMPP related publications (if you are interested in reading the full text of the papers, please contact me):
- Enabling the IoT Paradigm in E-health Solutions through the VIRTUS Middleware
- The VIRTUS Middleware: An XMPP Based Architecture for Secure IoT Communications
- From animal monitoring to early warning systems through the Internet of Things
- An Internet of Thing-based approach for single animal monitoring in a distributed farms environment
- Enhancing traceability and industrial process automation through the VIRTUS middleware
- A Jabber-Based Management Framework for Heterogeneous Sensor Network Applications
- XMPP-based Network Management Infrastructure for Agile IoT Application Deployment and Configuration
- XMPP-based Infrastructure for IoT network management and rapid services and applications development
- Distributed Simulation for Evolutionary Design of Swarms of Cyber-Physical Systems
- Scalable Distributed Simulation for Evolutionary Optimization of Swarms of Cyber-Physical Systems
Why I'm re-applying
I'm a XSF member since 2015 and I'm still really interested to promote the use of XMPP in the IoT ecosystem, working in collaboration with the other XMPP members and the XSF Concuil to define a list of XEPs and mechanisms, which allow to have standard approaches to leverage the XMPP protocol in typical IoT applications and scenarios (i.e., smart-industry, smart-city and smart-energy). Currently I'm promoting the use of XMPP in several European research projects, apllying it in heterogeneous fields, such as distributed robotics simulation, remote monitoring of industrial devices and fedeteration of IoT platforms.