The XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF) will hold its 24th XMPP Summit in the two days preceding FOSDEM 2020, January 30th & 31st. To participate in this (or any future summit), please join the email@example.com discussion list and ask for an account in this Wiki, so you can add yourself (and/or colleagues) to the list in this page.
Please note that the venue is not publicly accessible! You will need to announce your participation beforehand, to allow us to arrange for your access to the building!
Cisco System Belgium
De Kleetlaan, 6A
Direct trains to Diegem run from both Brussel-Centraal (2-3 trains/hour) and Schuman (1 train/hour). Both routes should take between 15 and 20 minutes. According to Google, it's a 6 minute walk from the station to Cisco Systems Belgium. Schuman is the station closest to the Thon Hotel EU.
For more routing options, check Google Maps
- Thu 30th Jan
- Fri 31st Jan
Possible topics (please augment as desired):
- Your topic here - add your name please!
- In-client, unified, public MUC search (not disco) - Nÿco
- I need a search engine in my clients/apps, for public MUCs across the whole open/public/federated network
- Like search.jabber.network, but NOT on the web, rather in XMPP apps/clients - also like https://index.xabber.com/
- MAM search - Nÿco
- I need to search ALL my old messages and conversations, whether one-to-one or MUC
- I believe this is what is addressed in https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/fulltext.html
- Note: see how Matrix does a client-side feature, with distributed aspects
- Bonus: if that could work with encryption...
- Opt-in server metrics report - Nÿco
- All public and federated servers should report some stats/metrics/analytics
- Users counts and number of servers is a start, maybe more data is useful, like messages counts
- It has to be opt-out but let the debate happen
- Like https://the-federation.info/
- Basic C2S feature over REST-like API (HTTP/JSON) - Nÿco
- Some XMPP features can be made available over REST-like APIs
- QuickBlox, Tigase, MongooseIM do this, developers appreciate that
- User-friendly OMEMO key management - Nÿco
- Yes, I've changed my client/app/device, so what?
- Yes, I've added a new client/app/device, so what?
- Wait, what are... keys? How should I do with them?
- Oh no, again, another something is encrypted and I can't decrypt it
- Why can't I read/decrypt this old message?
- Multiclient presenceless MUC - Nÿco
- When I join a channel, I'm in, period. Whatever the connectivity, whatever the client
- And I'll stay until I explicitly and manually and consciously leave
- MUC light, MUC/sub, Xabber's approach seem all good, more or less
- Even something close to bouncers like IRC could fit
- MIX is overkill, several years long process, with no serious implementation so far
- It has just to happen yesterday, we are late
- Easy passwordless device enrolment/account recovery - MattJ
- Simple UX for the developers - Nÿco
- Simple mindset and techniques to improve the state of your software
- CommTeam: Newsletter, Twitter, Mastodon, LinkedIn (Facebook, Instagram) - Nÿco
- Process transparency and documentation, some metrics
The following people plan to be there in person.
|Given name||Family name||Nickname||Hotel check in - out||booked?||comments|
|Ralph||Meijer||ralphm||Wednesday - Sunday|
|Guus||der Kinderen||Guus||Wednesday - Sunday||yes, Thon|
|Daniel||Gultsch||iNPUTmice||Wednesday - Sunday morning||yes||Staying @ NH Brussels EU Berlaymont (short walk from & slightly cheaper than Thon)|
|Pep.||Thursday - Sunday|
|Paul||Schaub||vanitasvitae||Wednesday/Thursday - Sunday|
|Holger||Weiß||Holger||Thursday - Sunday||yes||Staying @ Leopold Hotel|
|Alexander||Gnauck||Alex||Wednesday - Sunday||yes||Will stay at Thon|
|Dave||Cridland||dwd||Wednesday - Sunday||yes||Thon|
|Edwin||Mons||intosi||Wednesday - Sunday||yes||Thon|
|Yvo||Eevvoor||cannot come :(||cancelled|
|Tim||Henkes||Syndace||Wednesday - Sunday morning|
|Winfried||Tilanus||winfried||Thursday - Sunday|
|Marvin||Wissfeld||larma||Thursday - Sunday||yes||Staying @ Adagio Access Brussels Europe|
|Andrzej||Wójcik||hantu.sc||Wednesday - Monday||yes||@Thon|
|Kevin||Smith||Kev||Wed-Fri||Thon, private||Leaving Friday afternoon|
|Nicolas||Vérité||Nÿco||Wed-Sun||yes||Thon City Centre, from Thu night to Sun afternoon|
|Emmanuel Gil||Peyrot||Link Mauve||Thu-Sun||not yet|
As usual, the XSF is arranging a hotel group reservation for the upcoming XSF summit and FOSDEM event.
We will use the firstname.lastname@example.org chatroom for coordination.
The following people plan to participate remotely some or all of the time:
A web conference is available at https://cisco.webex.com/cisco/j.php?MTID=mf162fe829fc72dcfc4e48be0c8572664
Please note that this conference will only be accessible after a 'host' has joined from the physical meeting room itself.
As usual, the XSF will hold a dinner for XSF participants in conjunction with the Summit. XSF members attend for free.
The XSF dinner will likely take place on Thursday evening, at L’Auberge Bretonne (Brusselsesteenweg 670, 3090 OVERIJSE)
We'll arrange for taxis to bring you from the Thon EU hotel to the restaurant, and back.
Further details: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/summit/2020-January/001926.html
The following organizations and individuals stepped up for sponsoring:
- Your name here
To sponsor the XSF dinner, summit lunches, materials, or other things, please contact any member of the XSF Board! No donation too small (or too large)!
Before lunch on the Friday we'll have a chance for people to give a 5 minute presentation of any interesting XMPP things they're working on. If you'd like to take a slot, please put your name and topic in the list below:
- You: Your topic
|Event on wiki main page (under 'upcoming events')?||No|
|Announced on mailing list?||No|
|Event on XSF Shared Calendar?||No|
|Twitter announcement||None yet|
|Blogpost announcement||None yet|
|Blogpost wrapup||None yet|