XMPP Summit 11
The XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF) will hold its 11th XMPP Summit on Monday, February 6, 2012, in Brussels, Belgium. This is the Monday after FOSDEM 2012.
The XSF will also hold an interop test event and general XMPP hackfest on Friday, February 3.
Both of these events will be held at Cisco Systems Belgium's offices in Diegem (just outside Brussels and accessible via local train from the city center).
If you would like to participate in either of these events, please join the firstname.lastname@example.org discussion list and post with your participation request. Space is not infinite, but we will try to accommodate all requests.
Friday: Hackfest and Interop Testing
The XMPP Hackfest / Interop Event gives XMPP developers a chance to code on test interoperability, build or extend applications, and give a few informal talks about technical topics. The XMPP Hackfest starts at 09:30 and runs until 17:00 at the Cisco offices in Diegem, outside Brussels (see below).
- Dave Cridland
- Florian Jensen
- Stefan de Konink
- Peter Saint-Andre
- Winfried Tilanus
- Kurt Zeilenga
Saturday: Devroom @ FOSDEM
From 10:00 until 19:00 we have a devroom where we'll host tutorials, presentations, demos, and lightning talks at FOSDEM 2012. Location: ULB Solbosh Campus. Talks are welcome but you need to sign up by January 15!
We will also have a promotional booth, which we're calling the "Real-Time Lounge". See below.
Saturday Night: XSF Dinner
The XSF will be holding its annual dinner again this year during the FOSDEM/Summit weekend, this time on Saturday night (not on Sunday night as in previous years). The dinner is open to any XSF member (+ 1 guest) and Sponsor. Once again the location is the excellent Auberge Bretonne (Brusselsesteenweg 670, 3090 Overijse). A coach has been organized transporting the attendees from the FOSDEM venue to the restaurant and back into the city after the dinner.
Dinner sponsors are very much welcome to help defray the costs!
The dinner wouldn't of have been possible without the support of:
- Isode Ltd. (€1000)
- buddycloud (€200)
- tilanus.com / HelpIM (€100)
- Kim Alvefur
- Dave Cridland (Isode Ltd.)
- Dirk Duckhorn (buddycloud) - Not XSF Member
- Florian Jensen (Flosoft.biz)
- Tuomas Koski (buddycloud)
- Edwin Mons
- Felix Niklas (buddycloud) - Not XSF Member
- Peter Saint-Andre (Cisco)
- Simon Tennant (buddycloud)
- Winfried Tilanus (tilanus.com / HelpIM) - Not XSF Member
- Rene Treffer (buddycloud)
- Kurt Zeilenga (Isode Ltd.)
- Florian Zeitz
- Christopher Zorn
- "the last dodo" (buddycloud) - Not XSF Member
Sunday: XMPP Realtime Lounge @ FOSDEM
See the FOSDEM 2012 page.
Monday, February 7: XMPP Summit
The official "XMPP Summit" itself: Intensive discussions among core XMPP developers to solve pressing problems in the XMPP protocol stack and general community. Although all are welcome, the XMPP Summit is not intended for people who are just interested in learning about XMPP (see the Saturday schedule at FOSDEM), but instead for active technical contributors in the XMPP community.
Likely technical topics include:
- Internationalization (RFC6122bis)
- End-to-end encryption (RFC3923bis)
- Cryptographic hash agility (XEP-0300)
- Message carbons (XEP-0280)
- Jingle file transfer (XEP-0234)
- vCard4 (XEP-0292)
- Fast reconnect (XEP-0305)
- Message forwarding (XEP-0297)
- Real-time text (XEP-0301)
- Distributed chatrooms
If you have ideas for technical topics, please post them to the email@example.com discussion list.
The XMPP Standards Foundation has a special deal with ALoft Schuman in the Brussels center. You must book by January 19th for the special deal! Visit http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/xmppfebruary for details.
- Cisco office in Diegem: You can get the train from Schuman Station (opposite the Hotel) which takes about 30 minutes. Trains run every 30 minutes. You can find train schedules and route planner on NMBS.be. You can find a sample route here.
- FOSDEM: Take the Metro from Schuman to Montgomery. From there take the Tram 25 towards Boondael Gare. Get off at the stop ULB.
- Dinner: We'll have a coach leaving FOSDEM (not the hotel!) bringing all dinner participants to the dinner and back into the Brussels center after the dinner.