XMPP Summit 21
The XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF) will hold its 21th XMPP Summit around FOSDEM 2017 on 2 and 3 February 2017.
To participate in this (or any future summit), please join the email@example.com discussion list and post with your participation request or ideas for Summit topics.
Please use #XMPP2017 as the hashtag in any social media posting you do and also tag any photos posted as XMPP2017. References to the Summit's wiki page can be either http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/XMPP2017 or http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Summit_21 - we have set up redirects for the XMPP looking ones.
The Summit will tentatively again be held at Cisco Systems Belgium's offices in Diegem (just outside Brussels and accessible via local train from the city center).
Address: De Kleetlaan 6/B, 1831, Belgium.
From the Brussels main train station (Gare Centrale/Centraal Station):
Walk to the Parc tram station, take the tram #92 or #93. Change over at Botanique and take the bus 272 to Diegem Kennedy and walk the last bit. ( http://bit.ly/1txERyW )
We'll be aiming to get there for 9:30 for a 10:00 start (local time).
Possible presentation topics (please augment as desired):
- MIX: 1:30 on Thu, 0:30 on Fri
- MAM-related "sync": 0:30
- Sorting out the MAM/Carbons story (make MAM useful for sync and deprecate carbons, probably)
- Inbox (unread sync)
- OMEMO: 0:30 on Fri (giving feedback about the current PEP usage, by edhelas)
- Shall we switch to the double ratchet spec (https://whispersystems.org/docs/specifications/doubleratchet/)?
- How do we add support for arbitrary extension elements as payload and not just 'body' text?
- Full-text search in archive?
- In-Chat Media: 0:30
- XMPP and IoT (Flow): 1:00
- XEP-0280 Carbons Last Call (Flow): ?:??
- General obsolescence (unmaintained software and documentation on the wild wild internetses): 0:30
- MIX: 1:30 on Thu, 0:30 on Fri
- Combined XMPP / Free RTC summit, maybe covering some of the topics below
- TURN (for all of XMPP, SIP, WebRTC and other use cases)
- Making better use of TLS, making it easier to provision and support, automating TLS setup with Let's Encrypt
- Fundraising for free software / Free RTC development
- GSoC and Outreachy mentoring, report from 2016 activities, planning for 2017
- Packaging skills, helping free RTC developers keep official packages up to date
- Collaboration on RTC Quick Start Guide
The agenda items from the last Brussels summit are available on the Summit 19 page. Please post to the firstname.lastname@example.org discussion list if you would like any of these topics re-visited or updated during Summit 21 or if you have suggestions for Summit 21 topics.
Working Sessions / Hack Projects
- Brainstorm on goals and missions of the XSF and/or FreeRTC: 1:00
Like previous years, the XSF will request hosting the Realtime Lounge and a devroom. See FOSDEM 2017 for details.
The following people plan to be there in person. The list MUST be kept sorted (on last name, ascending).
|Given name||Family name||Nickname||Hotel check in - out||booked?||comments|
|W. Martin||Borgert||debacle||Thu||Sun||no||will stay in "own" hotel|
|Dave||Cridland||dwd||Wed||Sun/Mon||no||What Simon says|
|Steve||Kille||sek||Wed||Sat||no||What does the fox say?|
|Guus||der Kinderen||guus||Thu||Sun||no||What Steven said|
|Tobias||Markmann||Tobias||Wed/Thu||Sun||no||What Edwin said.|
|Edwin||Mons||intosi||Thu||Sun||no||What Arc said|
|Emmanuel Gil||Peyrot||Link Mauve||Thu||Sun||no|
|Arc||Riley||arc||Wed/Thu||Sun/Mon||no||What Florian said|
|Florian||Schmaus||Flow||Wed||Sun||yes||What Lloyd said.|
|Winfried||Tilanus||winfried||Wed||Sun||no||What Tobias said.|
|Sam||Whited||no||Pending hotel pricing (but it's probably fine).|
|Paul||Schaub||vanitasvitae||Thu||Sun||no||I booked a room with Airbnb.|
The designated hotel is Thon Hotel EU. Please fill in your check-in and check-out dates in the participants list above and add Thon Hotel EU in the comment. If you're staying elsewhere, please mention this in the comment instead. Please see the mailinglist for detailed information on using the group rate.
We will use the email@example.com chatroom for coordination. A/V TBD
The following people plan to participate remotely some or all of the time:
- Timothée Jaussoin (edhelas)
- Lloyd Watkin (lloydwatkin)
- Kim Alvefur (Zash)
- Your name here
As usual, the XSF will hold a dinner for XSF participants in conjunction with the Summit. XSF members attend for free, as do XSF Sponsors and XSF Dinner Sponsors. Note that any excess sponsorship will be used to cover the costs of the weekend's activities, including the Summit and FOSDEM activities.
Time and Venue
Tentative: Thursday 2 February, 19:00. Auberge Bretonne, Brusselsesteenweg 670, Jesus-Eik.
Note that you have to sign up for this before Monday 30 January, evening. Ask around in xmpp:firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following organizations and individuals stepped up to sponsor the weekend's activities as "XSF Dinner Sponsors":
- Your name here
To sponsor future XSF dinners, please contact any member of the XSF Board! No donation too small (or too large)!
GPG key signing
During the summit there will be the possibility to sign each others GPG keys. If you want to have your keys signed, please take along:
- Key printouts with the following:
- your first name and last name
- the e-mail adresses and other id's you would like to have signed
- the key-id and encryption method (eg: 4096R/1A2B3C4D)
- key fingerprint (visible with: gpg -v --fingerprint 1A2B3C4D)
- Some official ID with photo (e.g. Passport or drivers license)
Prepared like this, it should not take more then 15 minutes to cross-sign the keys of everybody who is interested. More info can be found at: Debian Wiki on Keysigning. Some handy scripts for making mass-signing more easy can be found in the Signing party Debian package.
Here are the people who plan to participate in key signing:
- Ralph Meijer