XMPP Summit 13
The XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF) will hold its 13th XMPP Summit on Thursday, January 31 and Friday, February 1 in Brussels, Belgium. This is the Thursday and Friday before FOSDEM 2013.
The Summit will be held at Cisco Systems Belgium's offices in Diegem (just outside Brussels and accessible via local train from the city center).
If you would like to participate in the Summit, please join the firstname.lastname@example.org discussion list and post with your participation request. Space is not infinite, but we will try to accommodate all requests.
For activities on Saturday and Sunday, see the FOSDEM 2013 page.
Note: The XMPP Summit consists of intensive discussions among core XMPP developers to solve pressing problems in the XMPP protocol stack and general community. Although all are welcome, the XMPP Summit is not intended for people who are just interested in learning about XMPP (see the Saturday schedule at FOSDEM 2013), but instead for active technical contributors in the XMPP community.
There is a Webex™ set up here for remote participants.
Format and Topics
This year we plan to hold breakout sessions on special topics, then ask each breakout group to report to the full group about their conclusions.
Likely breakout topics include:
- HTTP Bindings, including a review of the BoshIssues list and discussion of XMPP Over WebSocket ... after 14:00 UTC on Thursday or Friday
- XMPP and JSON
- XMPP and SIP, including WebRTC
If you have ideas for technical topics, please post them to the email@example.com discussion list.
Short Talks and General Updates
We will also have some short talks about technical topics that we were not able to fit into the FOSDEM devroom. Please post to the firstname.lastname@example.org list if you would like to volunteer. Here are some possibilities:
- Internationalization / draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis (Peter Saint-Andre)
- Distributed chatrooms / XEP-0289 (Kevin Smith)
- Message Carbons / XEP-0280 (Joe Hildebrand)
- Message Archive Management / XEP-0313 (Waqas Hussain)
- What is this WEBRTC thing and why should XMPP developers care (Philipp Hancke) slides
- CUSAX: the combined use of SIP and XMPP in dual-stack clients (Emil Ivov)
The following people will participate in person:
- Thijs Alkemade (Friday only)
- Kim Alvefur
- John Atherton (Friday only)
- Paul Aurich
- Abmar Barros
- Diana Cionoiu
- Eelco Cramer (Friday only)
- Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
- Adrian Georgescu
- Philipp Hancke
- Akari Harada
- Joe Hildebrand
- Waqas Hussain
- Emil Ivov
- Florian Jensen
- Thomas Jost
- Jan Kaluza
- Brian Kelly
- Severin Kistner
- Victor Klos (Friday only)
- Steffen Larsen
- Vincent Lucas
- Tobias Markmann (Friday only)
- Ralph Meijer
- Daniel-Constantin Mierla
- Edwin Mons
- Nobuo Ogashiwa
- Mickaël Rémond
- Peter Saint-Andre
- Jonathan Schleifer
- Kevin Smith
- Yana Stamcheva
- Lance Stout
- Stefan Strigler
- Mike "bear" Taylor
- Simon Tennant
- Winfried Tilanus
- Mili Verma
- Ashley Ward
- Kosuke Watanabe
- Lloyd Watkin
- Matthew Wild
- Florian Zeitz
- Sonny Piers
- Jose Luis Navaro
The following people will participate remotely in parts of the meeting:
- Nathan Fritz
- Matthew Miller
There will be an official XSF Dinner on Thursday the 31st of January.
A shuttle bus will be provided from the official Hotel to the Restaurant and back.
Please fill in the Google Docs form to confirm your attendance for the dinner.
The following individuals and organizations have volunteered to help sponsor the cost of the dinner.
- Isode Ltd. (€750)
- &yet (€450)
- AG Projects (€250)
- buddycloud (€200)
- jitsi.org (€200)
- Surevine (€200)
- Peter Saint-Andre (€100)
- tilanus.com (€100)
If you would like to help sponsor the dinner, please contact Florian Jensen or Peter Saint-Andre, or post to the email@example.com list.
Brusselsesteenweg 670 OVERIJSE
GPG key signing
During the summit there will be the possibility to sign each others GPG keys. If you want to have your keys signed, please take along:
- Key printouts with the following:
- your first name and last name
- the e-mail adresses and other id's you would like to have signed
- the key-id and encryption method (eg: 4096R/1A2B3C4D)
- key fingerprint (visible with: gpg -v --fingerprint 1A2B3C4D)
- Some official ID with photo (e.g. Passport or drivers license)
Prepared like this, it should not take more then 15 minutes to cross-sign the keys of everybody who is interested. More info can be found at: Debian Wiki on Keysigning. Some handy scripts for making mass-signing more easy can be found in the Signing party Debian package.
Here are the people who plan to participate:
- Peter Saint-Andre (1024D/0DB0FEFC, E559 E98A 9BC9 ED0F 6021 FDEA 34BF 24E4 0DB0 FEFC)
- Winfried Tilanus (4096R/62D66B3D)
- Edwin Mons (4096R/E623BFD2, 62C4 81BC C19D DAF9 B776 6F07 BA29 DCD9 E623 BFD2)
- Lance Stout (4096R/FF26588F, FB17 A8E1 C688 B1D5 3D8B E2DE 2C2D 68CD FF26 588F)
- Mike Taylor 4096R/8EE5B4D8 0A93 9BA7 8203 FCBC 58A9 E8B5 9D1E 0661 8EE5 B4D8
- Jonathan Schleifer 4096R/0F6F0311 84F3 E9C5 506D 9AC7 E1AD F1AD 8A2F 2195
- Florian Jensen (4096R/992D201B , 68B6 8A44 C8C6 68C6 8C3B 007E 785C 2909 992D 201B)
- Paul Aurich (4096R/A6FB30F7, 58AC 7E6C 8834 E74B 3867 AC38 491F 7AE1 A6FB 30F7)
- Kevin Smith (1024D/2296EF55, B1E7 5E2F BE5A C30C BF2A 50E3 7995 BEA2 2296 EF55)
Our Hotel is the ALoft Brussels.
The rates we have:
Nights 30 & 31 January 2013
160 € per single room per night, including breakfast and taxes 170 € per double room per night, including breakfast and taxes
Nights 01 & 02 February 2013
75 € per single room per night, including breakfast and taxes 85 € per double room per night, including breakfast and taxes
All information about the Hotel and the booking form can be found here: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/XMPP2013
Please do subscribe to the firstname.lastname@example.org discussion list to be notified about Summit details.
Place Jean Rey, 1040 City of Brussels, Belgium
- Cisco office in Diegem: You can get the train from Schuman Station (opposite the Hotel) which takes about 30 minutes. Trains run every 30 minutes. You can find train schedules and route planner on NMBS.be. You can find a sample route here. Basically, take the Metro to central station and then follow the instructions from last year.
- FOSDEM: Take the Metro from Schuman to Montgomery. From there take the Tram 25 towards Boondael Gare. Get off at the stop ULB.