Nathanael Fritz for Council 2010
About Nathanael Fritz
I am an XMPP consultant with &yet, founder of NetFlint and Bridged Analytics, father, and XMPP enthusiast since around 2000. Working with XMPP has provided my family's income for the past few years, making me one of the few people that get to work on one of their favorite hobbies for a living.
My experience writing low level libraries and applying high level XMPP concepts to products and services would be a benefit to the Council, particularly in the application of non-IM related specs like Publish-Subscribe. On the Council, I would be able to contribute more to the community on a technical level which would motivate me to focus more on the test suite and XEP refinement.
The Next Council
Cloud computing seems to be a big theme in the community as of late, and I'd like to see the Council encourage more XEPs in this area. Presence, routed messages, and broadcasting state make XMPP a great choice for this. I believe that XMPP has a lot of potential for synchronizing state of applications, people (social network), and help keep people informed in real-time.
- Author of XMPPHP, a PHP library which powers identi.ca and many other services.
- Author and maintainer of SleekXMPP, a Python client/server library, used for all of the code examples in the O'Reilly Book, XMPP: The Definitive Guide.
- Author of Seesmic-AS3-XMPP, formerly TwhiX, a XMPP library for AS3/Flash 9+ which has proper TLS support and is XMPP 1.0 complaint.
- I started and currently advise for SleekBot, a bot framework based on SleekXMPP.
- I am a regular at the San Francisco XMPP User Group (even though I don't live in California) as well as regularly attend the XMPP Summits to work with the community.
Relevant Professional Experience
- I am one of the few full-time consultants for XMPP and AMQP, which has provided me with experience in a wide array of XMPP applications.
- I helped Seesmic deploy a large-scale Pubsub interface for it's users and peer services.
- I have extensive project management experience which includes code architecture, people management, feature and bug management, and vision as CTO/Dev Lead at Bridged Analytics.
- I have a lot of QA experience, which I believe to be particularly relevant to the Council.
Future Community Plans
- Continue to develop and support XMPPHP, SleekXMPP, and TwhiX.
- XEP development -- I have been working on several Pubsub based extensions.